Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Dear Family and friends,
Well I am in Fortaleza, eh? Yeah its sweet!@ Sorry these Brazilian keyboards are really different and hard to get used to. Well I am in the Benfica ward in the Fortaleza Montesse Stake. My companion is Elder Carvalho who is from Sao Paulo but can speak basically perfect English and is basically the man. So I left Sao Paulo CTM on Friday at 3:30 in the morning, and got to Fortaleza around 9 oclock. We went to the mission office and the mission home for lunch, there were 23 of us missionaries that arrived that day. President Batt just lives way north of us if you go really far north on 5th west. SO At like 600 pm we met our companions and went to our areas that night. WE went straight to this one activity called Noite Mexicana where there were like more than 80 investigators. WE first watched the Restoration and then all the investigators went down to the baptismal font where we baptized them all. Jking but they went down to the baptismal font and learned a little about baptism and the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. We got special permission frfom the president to be there past 1030 and we got home at like 1130. It was so good and boy can Brazilians party; after the baptismal font we went outside and had food and music and stuff. We have like 50 numbers and addresses of people that attended. Oh theres so much that I want to tell you right now. Ummmm one funny thing is that a lot of people make fun of me because I am so white and I cant speak the language and I have a difficult last name. Ive had a few Brazilians say i look like joseph smith but its just because i have blonde hair and blue eyes. oh yeah and someone said i look like someone from harry potter. crazy huh? Alright so my address that you can send letters to and packages to is.
Elder David Scott Willoughby II
Missão Brasil Fortaleza
Av. Santos Dumont 1789 Sala 1612
Ed. Potenza, Aldeota
Fortaleza-CE
60150-160

Alright what more. WE shower twice a day just so you know. OH we are teaching lots of people. Rita and her daughter. Augosto who was supposed to be baptized yesterday but wanted to wait. Demaria and Jorge who are a couple and Alicia. Basically I dont understand anything that is going on. OK 10 percent of the time I understand the basic general idea of what is going on, but it is fun and I know it will come with lots of practice and making lots of mistakes on my part. OH yeah and speaking of making mistakes I bore my testimony in sacrament meeting which the bishop asked be to do. Oh yeah and the worst mistake I made so far was a different time when they were telling us that it cost money for brasilians to check bags but not for americans and i asked Quanto custa por uma brasileira? to a sister sitting in front of me instead of Quanto custa para uma brasileira. basically it sounded like i wanted to buy a brazilian woman and yeah. Oh geeze well i gotta go teach the first half of the first lesson to an investigator that came to church by his own will power yesterday which is awesome. Yesterday we had 10 investigators at church but no baptisms but we were supposed to have a few but they all fell through.

UM abraço,
Elder Willoughby

No comments:

Post a Comment